Saturday, September 20, 2008

Road Trip = Crazy Toddlers

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. For those of you who know, we are on our road trip from Chicago to North Carolina to visit Matt's brother. We are having a lot of fun, but I think the title says it all!

Day 1 Chicago to Kentucky...The day started out rough since 80/94 in Indiana was shut down because of flooding. So, we were detoured around it and the traffic SUCKED! The good news...the road was due to be opened up that afternoon. We stopped and had a picnic lunch at a rest area which was a lot of fun. Daddy even won a prize in one of those "claw" machines that you almost NEVER win. For dinner, we stopped at a restaurant called Rafferty's. I believe it is a chain restaurant, just not one that is in our neck of the woods. Then, to the hotel we went. We arrived at the hotel very LATE, but had SUPER hyper children that had been couped up in the car all day! I don't think we were all asleep until about 1 am!

day 2 Kentucky to Virginia...Layna woke up bright and early as usual. We all got up and headed to an awesome Children's Museum in Kentucky. It was just what the kids needed after a LONG day in the car. Then, we headed to a dive restaurant that has been featured on Food Network's Diners Drive-ins and Dives in Kentucky for lunch. It was definitely a dive, but the food was good AND cheap. Then, back in the car to head to Virginia. Time got away from us a bit and we had a late dinner at Subway before arriving at the hotel. Again...SUPER hyper kids that did not want to go to bed!!! I am proud to say that I even hit the Fitness room and did three miles of walking/jogging on the treadmill. Upon arriving back in the room after working out, Layna and Brayden were playing in bed when Brayden lost track of himself and fell off the bed...unfortunately the night stand broke his fall. He has a nicely bruised face and scraped up belly...UGH!!!

Day 3 Virginia to North Carolina...We piled into the car and headed to Michael's house with a lunch stop at Wendy's. The kids had time to stretch their legs and play for a couple hours at Michael and Melissa's before piling back into the car and heading to the beach...another 2 hour drive.

So, that brings us to today. We arrived around dinner time and then came back to our hotel room to get the kiddos to bed at a decent hour. Thankfully, they both went down willingly and are sound asleep!!! We are here for the next four days, so things shall get a bit easier without the car driving!!! I am SOOO looking forward to hanging out at the beach tomorrow!!! We are also planning to hit an aquarium while we are here as well.

Oh...I almost forgot to mentiong that Brayden is a coughing, snotty, crabby mess!!! JOY! JOY!! He woke up with a cold on Wednesday, the day before we left. I knew we were in for it. I think we are about to turn the corner to getting healthy for him, but Layna's nose started running today! Between the sickies and being in the car...I am exhausted, but having a great time still. It is nice to be away from the daily grind of being at home. I would include photos...but, I am just too tired tonight. Sorry!

I will keep you all posted on the rest of our trip as the days go by! Maybe I will even have the time and energy to post pics! Maybe I will even post one of Brayden's bruised face/nose running snot all over the place...I know you all needed that visual! LOL

6 comments:

merkley4 said...

I hope that the kids are feeling better really soon!!! ENJOY your vacation and try to have fun!!

Hannah said...

Hey you were in my part of town!! We are near Louisville Ky! Have a great trip!!

Hannah

Megan said...

I'd love to see pics but I really could do without the snot. LOL.

Glad everything is going well. Hope the kiddos feel better!

Candy said...

Two is SO much harder than ONE...girl you sould have sent me a WARNING...HAHA

Hope you have a GREAT TIME...Crazy Toddlers and all!

Amy said...

Wow, I have a hard enough time driving across the state of Florida with my two crazy toddlers, nevermind what you are doing....have a safe trip

Ruthanne said...

WooWee. That's a lot of time in the car with toddlers. You're one brave mama!

Colds, colds, go away. Jill calls it Guat-snot. That cracks me up.