Sunday, July 20, 2008

You Will NEVER Guess What???

Brayden has a cold AGAIN!!! He woke up overnight Friday, and I thought uh-oh. Then, during the day he started couging abd sneezing. Since then, he has continued coughing and sneezing and added congestion, runny nose and irritability. He has also continued to wake in the night and is having toileting accidents quite a bit...nap time and awake time. He still wears a diaper at bed time.

I am feeling so helpless and frustrated. I don't know what I am doing wrong or what I can do to help. He is sick ALL the time! You would think we would get a break during the summer...but, nope.

So, I am asking all of you the visit my blog...do you have any suggestions or advice for me and my always sick son. Any home remedies or tidbits that have worked for you. I am obviously not looking for medical advice, just frienly advice and suggestions. If things progress and worsen throughout the week, we will be heading to the doctor's office once again. A good friend of mine swears by probiotics, but I just don't know anything about them. I will definitely be doing my research on them now. I will try just about anything at this point.

Sorry to be so negative, I am just so discouraged and frustrated. I feel so bad for my son who can't fully enjoy his summer and do the same things as all of his friends.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance...

11 comments:

Braedensmommy said...

Hi, Amy.
I am soo sorry that Brayden is sick again. We took probiotics when we came home from Ethiopia. It was to fight away any bacteria that might have been in our intestines. I didn't really think they did anything but it might be worth a try.
What about a multi-vitamin? Maybe you need to build up his immune system a little bit.
I think some kids just naturally get sick alot but I would say TONS of water, orange juice in the morning, and a multi-vitamin once a day might help.
Good luck!!!
Megan
P.s. Do his adenoids need to come out??? I know Braeden's do.

Anonymous said...

OK I Hear you!! My son Bradley is 13 years old and has cold on and off his WHOLE little life! He was just hospitalized last week for Pneumonia! So let me say it does get easier as they get older. Some kids just have a weaker immune system then others! Vitamins,Tell him no kissing women! (LOL),liquids all day long!
Also ask your Dr. on ways to build up his system.
Good luck,be strong sista!

Luv,Leslie

Kati said...

Amy-have you talked to the dr about allergies? Chris was like that too and when we figured out he had a ton, put him on meds(zyrtec), he was tons better. Just a thought.
I have heard of probiotics, but have heard mixed reviews.
Hope he gets better soon.

Jenni said...

Amy,

I think that maybe you should check with the doctor about how his tonsils and adenoids look. Joey had problems until his were taken out and then it was a miracle no more constant cold symptoms...although allergies might be another issue. I am thinking of having the kids tested, since we have all had such a bad summer with the cold like symptoms.

Good Luck!
Jenni

Tina said...

Hi Amy,
just wanted to lend my support. I would definately have him checked for allergies. I know they make me miserable all the time.

Susie said...

I agree to have tonsils and adenoids checked out. My DS was sick at least once per month. I was so tired of the countless Dr. visits, meds, and him feeling miserable. After countless attempts to keep him well, nothing worked. Now, one month post-op, he's had not one illness and his hearing, attitude, appetite, etc. have all improved. It's worth a try . . .

Our Family of 5 said...

I agree with allergies and checking tonsils, etc. My 10 year old was the same way, but the day we had them babies taken out, he is the healthiest one in the bunch.
On a side note, maybe children's vitamins? Hope he feels better soon!!
Hang in there, your a fantastic Mommy! It's nothing your doing wrong!!

Das Mutter said...

You know what I think...acidophilus is in yogurt and helps women every day from infections...it helped Henry sooo much. but, you know all this! And they cannot, I repeat cannot, hurt him. :) BTW I owe you an email about watching the kids...

Ruthanne said...

Amy--I'm SO sorry. It's so difficult when they're sick a lot. Andrew has respiratory issues when it's really cold outside--the winter was ROUGH. I agree about getting his tonsils/adnoids checked and having him tested for allergies.
I SWEAR by grapefruit seed extract (a natural antibiotic and the ONLY thing that gets rid of my sinus infections) and probiotics. Andrew and I both take GSE in the morning and probiotics at night. The GSE will knock out the bad stuff and the probiotics will put the good stuff back into your digestive system.

Anonymous said...

Oh man Amy I am so so sorry he is sick. :( We have had summers like that (Kollin,my oldest had a cold and ear infection all the time) and it's so tough. I'm thinking about your little guy and hoping and praying he gets well and STAYS well! {{{BIG HUGS}}}

Kathy said...

No additional advice from what everyone else said but I just wanted to say I hope Brayden is feeling better! And his Mommy too!