Saturday, January 17, 2009

Just some random things and some pictures, of course!

I have been a slacking blogger lately...I have simply been lurking on others blogs and not taking the time to leave comments. Please know that I am reading your blogs. I have just been too lazy to write anything. I am going to try to get back on the saddle again.

As some of you already know...we ended up giving our new dog, Lobo, back to his previous owners. The did not, in fact, move overseas, so taking him back was an option for them. Lobo was/is a great dog, but he and our dog, Cooper, just weren't getting along. Initially they would have small arguments over food (dog or people), then they started having arguments over silly little things that they decided to protect (i.e. a dead plant in the backyard). By Tuesday of this week, all they did was walk past each other and they would fight. The fights started getting longer and more intense. By Tuesday evening, I was in the backyard shouting and throwing boots at them to get them to quit (which was a sight to see I am sure). Once I got them apart I put Lobo in his crate and Cooper was gated in the kitchen. They stayed that way until Lobo went back to his previous owners Wednesday morning. It almost seems like they are both better as only dogs. It's not fair to the dogs to keep them together for their safety, and we do not want to risk the children getting hurt. I am a little extra protective after the issues we had with our lab recently. I am sad to see him go, but happy that both dogs will be happy again.

Brayden started another class with the park district. It meets twice a week for 1.5 hours each session. It is structured like a preschool and he LOVES it to say the least. The do art, circle time, story time, snack time, etc... The teacher has nothing but good things to say about Brayden which makes me so proud. However, if you ask Brayden what he did at school, he will either tell you what snack he ate or say "nothing". I am getting ready to enroll Brayden into preschool for the fall. He will be going to preschool at the day care I used to work at. He is going to LOVE it and it will be great for him! It will also allow for some mommy and daughter time.

Layna is doing fantastic. She is trying to talk more and more. I have a small amount of concern for her speech right now, but am going to wait until she is two and see if I want to have her evaluated. She has a lot of words, but they aren't very easy to understand for someone other than Matt or me. I have also noticed that she seems to lose words. One day she can say a particular word and says it all the time, then all of the sudden it's gone from her vocabulary. I honestly do not know or remember if this is normal/common. She is definitely a goof ball though. She likes to have the attention on her and to make people laugh.

Brayden and Layna have a true brother/sister, love/hate relationship. The are constantly getting on each others nerves, snatching toys from each other and just generally being brother and sister. However, just this week, I have observed more cooperative play for significant lenghts of time. Just last night, they played with their kitchen and McDonalds nicely for just about an hour giving me time tp prep dinner and relax for a bit. It was nice!

Well, that ended up being a lot longer than I had anticiapted...so, here are some photos as a reward for making it through!


Siblings...


Siblings making silly faces!


Pretty girl!


Handsome boy!


Peek-a-Boo


So angelic, so innocent, so peaceful...who is that boy?


Mad face!


This is the current smile I get when I tell Layna to smile!


This is the boy I know!


Yum...popcorn




Please scroll down for an important post from a guest blogger!

4 comments:

merkley4 said...

Wow, Malayna's hair is getting so long. I have to tell you when I watched your Polar Express Train ride video I was thinking that Malayna talks really well. How old is she?? My Marayna is very inconsistent with words, and most of this time refuses to try! I think you're doing OK!!! I am so happy to hear that Brayden is liking his playgroup/school... that is great. It happens way too fast doesn't it?!

Anonymous said...

They are soooo cute and full of joy in those faces!!!

hugs,leslie

Robyn said...

What cute pics!!

Todd Kurn said...

Sorry to hear about the dogs and having to return one to the previous owner. I feel your pain since we had to make the difficult decision last year to find a new home for one of our dogs due to vicious neighborhood altercations with other dogs. We recently adopted another dog, which is a bit older and we made sure to take our other dog Brutus along to make sure that they meshed. We got lucky and consider ourself fortunate on this one because she is so unbelievably sweet.